GDD710 Week 12: Finale

Image credit: Mio Ito


And there we have it. This post marks the final week of content for the first module of this course. Extending the metaphor I used to open my ‘Foreword’ post, I’m now a few storeys up on the UX tower.

To bring everything together, I’d now like to revisit the learning objectives I set for myself earlier in the module. In week one, I refered to them as pledges. In week five, I revised them as the following SMART goals:

  1. I will compile a portfolio of built products, high-fidelity designs, and wireframes. This portfolio will consist of design work from my previous roles and from the exercises within this module. This will make my applications to creative roles more attractive to employers and help me move into a career in UX/UI. To be reviewed at the end of this module.
  2. I will collaborate with a coursemate on one rapid ideation exercise. I will do this by reaching out to my coursemates directly before the second rapid ideation activity, via email, LinkedIn or Discord. This will give me an opportunity to practise communication around a project and contribute to a team effort. To be reviewed after RI2.
  3. I will apply at least one ideation method before each RI activity to help process the challenges’ themes into workable software concepts. This will vary my perspectives whilst ideating so I do not become reliant on a single perspective for a valuable concept or solution. To be reviewed after RI2.
  4. I will enage with, and be critical of, at least one piece of scholarly literature every week. The literature I engage with will be in addition to any readings or bibliographies included in that week’s content. This will help me be more insightful in my reflections. To be reviewed at the end of this module.

Goal one: partially achieved
I have produced a portfolio of my rapid ideation artefacts and a selection of designs from previous roles. The portfolio in its current state is a gallery of screenshots. The realWORKS content and guidance I have received from tutors and recruiters has made me reconsider my approach to my portfolio. I created more appropriate SMART goals in my week 11 post.

Goal two: achieved
In RI2, I collaborated with a coursemate to produce a wireframe and polished prototype. Aside from creating a set of artefacts that I was pleased with, the exercise challenged me to apply an agile mindset, work, and communicate effectively to overcome a time-zone gap.

Goal three: achieved
I have built and refined an ‘ideation toolbox’ that I have applied to several projects, in line with the course content, and on my own initiative. I have found ideation techniques to be most valuable when they force me to attend other perspectives. I explored this in my week 3 post.

Goal four: partially achieved
I have found engaging with scholarly literature has been one of the most aspects of this module. I have regularly tried to use scholarly literature to suplement my reflections but, I feel I signifant room for improvement. I plan to address this weakness with the support of Falmouth’s ASK: Academic Skills department in the new year.


Finally – to close this whirlwind module, please see below my personal case study video. Cheers.

Published by Josh 'Skoob' Brough

Experience enthusiast. UX/UI designer. Father to (little) one. Currently studying MA User Experience Design at Falmouth University. Here’s the chronicle.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: